"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."

"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."-Albert Einstein

Welcome to Poor Girls Pantry

How many of us wander into the kitchen often repeatedly opening the refrigerator and pantry doors hoping for ingredients to magically appear only to continually discover the same meager findings? Life often hands us circumstances that test our character and stretch our budgets. Posessing an ounce of creativity and a smidgin of sensibility makes all the difference in the world when desperately digging for new and interesting ways to disguise and decorate ground beef.

I recall incrediously the many times my mother magically materialized mouthwatering meals from meager findings for five children on a modest budget. I recently found myself tapping into her talented techniqure uncovering a treasure that I had not realized I posessed. Instead of pondering the potential for something more, I began to find quality in the questionable. These modest times had inadvertenly taught me to be incredibly resourceful and I embraced my unique ability to make something out of nothing. So, giving tribute to a remarkable Mother who taught me to see beyond the subltle, let us embarq on a journey together as I ponder my peculiar gift and open a passage into the poor girls pantry.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Spinach Artichoke Rice

A quick gander in the refrigerator gathers just a glimpse at a gourmet gathering.  Observe as I turn leftovers into a lucious treat.  Leftover chicken and rice, leftover spinach artichoke dip, some parmesean cheese (shaky cheese as my kids used to say) packets and Papa Johns special seasoning mix packets left from take out order (thanks, Papa John!), the last few drops in the gallon of milk and most of a package of whole grain rice.
Ingredients:
Whole Grain Instant Rice
(boil with chicken stock, 1 glove garlic pressed and 1 tbsp olive oil)
add 2 packets of Papa Johns seasoning mix.  Follow directions for preparing rice on the back of the rice package, but if you don't have, it's a simple rule for all rice: 1 cup rice to 1 cup water or chicken stock, which gives the rice some nice flavoring, bring to boil for 1 minute, stir then reduce to simmer and cover for 12-15 minutes.  Rice should not be mushy......just sayin')
Add:
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Milk (add amount that equals your consistency liking)

Pour ingredients into safe baking pan, cover with cheese and Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  Cool and enjoy with chips, crackers, spread on a toasted bagel, or however your creative spirit takes you with it.

1 comment:

  1. This would be a perfect meal for me. Sabina, please keep posting. Peggy

    ReplyDelete