"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."

"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."-Albert Einstein

Welcome to Poor Girls Pantry

How many of us wander into the kitchen often repeatedly opening the refrigerator and pantry doors hoping for ingredients to magically appear only to continually discover the same meager findings? Life often hands us circumstances that test our character and stretch our budgets. Posessing an ounce of creativity and a smidgin of sensibility makes all the difference in the world when desperately digging for new and interesting ways to disguise and decorate ground beef.

I recall incrediously the many times my mother magically materialized mouthwatering meals from meager findings for five children on a modest budget. I recently found myself tapping into her talented techniqure uncovering a treasure that I had not realized I posessed. Instead of pondering the potential for something more, I began to find quality in the questionable. These modest times had inadvertenly taught me to be incredibly resourceful and I embraced my unique ability to make something out of nothing. So, giving tribute to a remarkable Mother who taught me to see beyond the subltle, let us embarq on a journey together as I ponder my peculiar gift and open a passage into the poor girls pantry.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Simple Savory Summer Sandwiches and Salads

                                                                The possibilities are endless!

Spinach Turkey Provolone Wrap and Savory Spinach Tomato Mozerella Side Salad

What you will need:
Garlic Pesto Wrap
Deli Turkey  (on sale....gotta love it!)
Provolone Cheese slices
Fresh Spinach Leaves
Olive Oil
1 Small Clove of Garlic
Sea Salt
Italian Seasonings

For the salad:
Fresh Spinach Leaves
Fresh Tomatos
Mozerella Stick sliced
Balsalmic & Basil Vinegrette (Ken's Homestyle BOGO @ Publix this week!)

Some assembly required:
Place pesto wrap on flat surface (clean counter top or cutting board), layer cheese slices, turkey then pack the spinach leaves in there and gently fold sides of wrap over tucking in that spinach snuggly. Cut in half.
In small skillet, saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat cook for 30 seconds or until you're feeling it's the right moment and then carefully place assembled wrap halves into pan. Using a spatula, press gently, let cook for 1 min, then flip over and repeat pressing.  Sprinkle with seasonings suitable to your taste and serve with a side of the Balsalmic & Basil Vinegrette dressing for dipping and some fresh fruit.  Juicy red grapes and the balsalmic & basil vinegrette really compliment the flavors in the wrap.  Delish!

1 comment:

  1. Ummmmm!!! Looks delicious!!! I know what I am making tmro!!!

    ReplyDelete