"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."

"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."-Albert Einstein

Welcome to Poor Girls Pantry

How many of us wander into the kitchen often repeatedly opening the refrigerator and pantry doors hoping for ingredients to magically appear only to continually discover the same meager findings? Life often hands us circumstances that test our character and stretch our budgets. Posessing an ounce of creativity and a smidgin of sensibility makes all the difference in the world when desperately digging for new and interesting ways to disguise and decorate ground beef.

I recall incrediously the many times my mother magically materialized mouthwatering meals from meager findings for five children on a modest budget. I recently found myself tapping into her talented techniqure uncovering a treasure that I had not realized I posessed. Instead of pondering the potential for something more, I began to find quality in the questionable. These modest times had inadvertenly taught me to be incredibly resourceful and I embraced my unique ability to make something out of nothing. So, giving tribute to a remarkable Mother who taught me to see beyond the subltle, let us embarq on a journey together as I ponder my peculiar gift and open a passage into the poor girls pantry.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chili today.....gone Tamale!


 January 4, 2010

Chili today.......gone Tamale! 
My father has a notorious nack for peculiar puns.  Regardless of my ability to forecast their arrival at the slightest seasonal shift, my amusement greets them with delight  as effortlessly as his delivery.  His token cold weather claim, "It's chili (chilly) today and hot tamale (tomorrow)!" is as much expected as the wind is windy.  

As I stepped outside this morning into the bone chilling weather conditions, his quirky quote resonated in my ears instantly inspiring me to prepare a piping hot pot of chili.  Chili has always been one of my favorite meals.  It has an extended life.  I much prefer it's flavor after the second day and even more so after a third.  It is the gift that keeps on giving.  Pardon the pun.  Go ahead, let go of that immature giggle you are attempting to suppress.  It happens.  But seriously, a shameless plug for Beano should be inserted here.  :) 

While the chili is simmering overnight in the crock pot,  I am googling the creation of these cornmeal characters called, Tamales.  They are a Mexican dish made of minced and seasoned meat packed in cornmeal dough, wrapped in corn husks, and steamed.  I'm finding the process to be slightly more time consuming than I would prefer.  Tomorrow I will ponder the prep time while I pick up some much needed produce to fill the empty spaces in this poor girls pantry.   Perhaps there may be a pearl of wisdom that my new Publix friend can provide.

This time honored play on words offers a creative way to mix up the menu and stretch the sensational flavors while simultaneously saving the budget by using the seasoned chili meat and sauce to create Chili Tamales. So, in essence we are actually going to be experiencing chili today and hot tamales the next.  Dad will be proud.  :)

Leftover Recipe Idea passed on by a pal:  pour chili into casserole dish with lid, mix cornbread mixture and pour on top of chili, cover and cook at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  It is really good.  The cornbread mixture is so moist and full of the chili flavor.  Add a dollop of sour cream and it's a done deal! Delish! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you can count me as among the proud. Although today may be Windy (Wednesday), tomorrow will be Thirsty (Thursday)...Yes, let's all go get a drink of something ...Tea, anyone?
    or maybe Hot Chocolate? Yes, in Alaska they are saying: Many are Cold but few are Frozen!

    ReplyDelete