"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."

"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."-Albert Einstein

Welcome to Poor Girls Pantry

How many of us wander into the kitchen often repeatedly opening the refrigerator and pantry doors hoping for ingredients to magically appear only to continually discover the same meager findings? Life often hands us circumstances that test our character and stretch our budgets. Posessing an ounce of creativity and a smidgin of sensibility makes all the difference in the world when desperately digging for new and interesting ways to disguise and decorate ground beef.

I recall incrediously the many times my mother magically materialized mouthwatering meals from meager findings for five children on a modest budget. I recently found myself tapping into her talented techniqure uncovering a treasure that I had not realized I posessed. Instead of pondering the potential for something more, I began to find quality in the questionable. These modest times had inadvertenly taught me to be incredibly resourceful and I embraced my unique ability to make something out of nothing. So, giving tribute to a remarkable Mother who taught me to see beyond the subltle, let us embarq on a journey together as I ponder my peculiar gift and open a passage into the poor girls pantry.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Payday......Party in the Pantry!

January 6, 2010   
Payday.....Party in the Pantry!!

Every two weeks, a fiesta breaks out in the pantry!  Sometimes I swear I can hear the muffled rattling of maracas as I walk past.  I'm certain that there is a top shelf macaroni Macarena materializing.  :)

Speaking of Macarena......while wandering the aisles of the local grocery store seeking sustenance, I suddenly became aware of the swagger which I developed in response to the salsa tunes seeping from the ceiling speakers.  Ironically, at the checkout line I discovered that not only did the music manipulate my meandering, but it also maneuvered my meal mind set.  I stood bemused as  I observed the conveyor carrying items characteristic of a Columbian family friend's feast.  A perfect pork roast paved the way for the frejoles negros and arroz amarillo . Yummy yucca strode silently aside the fresh plaintains all eager to join together for a festive feast. A kelly green lime rolled along beside the cervezas while the cilantro, garlic and saltry seasonings joined forces with a jar of olive oil to bring up the rear.  It seems that the theme for this week's mind boggling menu had musically materialized.  Step aside flamenco dancers, the new tenants of this poor girls pantry are in Macarena motion!
Resulting Recipe:  Black Beans & Yellow Rice (add pork or chicken - your choice)
Ingredients needed:  (add more or less depending on how many mouths you are feeding)
2 whole tomatoes or a dozen (or so) grape tomatoes
(any variety will do, but I used grape tomatoes because they make stew style sauce) ($1.99)
1/2 red onion
1 garlic clove
splash of olive oil 
1 bag Safron yellow rice ($.72)
1 can Goya freoles negros ($.59)
Tyson fajita chicken strips (already seasoned - easy and delish!) ($7.99)
2 Green Plaintains ($1.29)
1 can Goya yucca ($.89)
Saute tomatoes, garlic and slices of red onion and cilantro in olive oil, open can of yucca, drain and add to mix, simmer. In separate pan, boil water, add 1 tbsp. olive oil, and rice (follow time on bag - easy breezy)
Once rice is finished, mix black beans (drained) into the rice then lay chicken on top, cover and cook on low for about 15 minutes.  While these are cooking, peel and slice the plaintains in diagonal slices.  Saute in olive oil, add salt to taste.  Once chicken and rice mix is done, drizzle the tomatoe mixture over the top of it all.  Mmmmmmmm, muy delicioso!  Pop open a cerveza, add slice of lime.....fiesta begins! Fabulous feast for lest than $15.00..... Enjoy! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment