"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."

"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."-Albert Einstein

Welcome to Poor Girls Pantry

How many of us wander into the kitchen often repeatedly opening the refrigerator and pantry doors hoping for ingredients to magically appear only to continually discover the same meager findings? Life often hands us circumstances that test our character and stretch our budgets. Posessing an ounce of creativity and a smidgin of sensibility makes all the difference in the world when desperately digging for new and interesting ways to disguise and decorate ground beef.

I recall incrediously the many times my mother magically materialized mouthwatering meals from meager findings for five children on a modest budget. I recently found myself tapping into her talented techniqure uncovering a treasure that I had not realized I posessed. Instead of pondering the potential for something more, I began to find quality in the questionable. These modest times had inadvertenly taught me to be incredibly resourceful and I embraced my unique ability to make something out of nothing. So, giving tribute to a remarkable Mother who taught me to see beyond the subltle, let us embarq on a journey together as I ponder my peculiar gift and open a passage into the poor girls pantry.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Post From A Pal


Kathy's poor girls pantry moment... January 10, 2010

Trying to decide what to make for dinner, I scan the fridge to see what I want to get rid of. Ok, there's some ham and some mashed potato left overs. Bright idea.... potato soup! This is what I did......cut up onion and a few more potatoes that I had, chopped in a few carrots, covered them with water and brought to a boil, then simmered adding one chicken bouillion at a time to taste. Chop up ham and put in pot, then add mashed potatoes (helps to thicken and adds flavor). Let cook til tender. Add a can of evaporated milk and salt and pepper to taste. I baked a nice loaf of bread to accompany this masterpiece. Great for our Florida winter arctic blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment