"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."

"Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple."-Albert Einstein

Welcome to Poor Girls Pantry

How many of us wander into the kitchen often repeatedly opening the refrigerator and pantry doors hoping for ingredients to magically appear only to continually discover the same meager findings? Life often hands us circumstances that test our character and stretch our budgets. Posessing an ounce of creativity and a smidgin of sensibility makes all the difference in the world when desperately digging for new and interesting ways to disguise and decorate ground beef.

I recall incrediously the many times my mother magically materialized mouthwatering meals from meager findings for five children on a modest budget. I recently found myself tapping into her talented techniqure uncovering a treasure that I had not realized I posessed. Instead of pondering the potential for something more, I began to find quality in the questionable. These modest times had inadvertenly taught me to be incredibly resourceful and I embraced my unique ability to make something out of nothing. So, giving tribute to a remarkable Mother who taught me to see beyond the subltle, let us embarq on a journey together as I ponder my peculiar gift and open a passage into the poor girls pantry.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Life is an adventure.....meatballs are momentous!



January 3, 2010

My sister is constantly pressing me to utilize my gifts.  We don't always see our situations as prosperous until someone else points out their perspective.  So, in answer to her inquisitive insistance, I will begin the journey with the first of many momentous meals of 2010.

Meatballs Are Momentous
With ten dollars in  my pocket and 3 days until payday, I wandered into my local Publix store in search for fine cuisine suitable for feeding four hungry mouths four meals.  A quick mental scan of the poor girls pantry revealed 4 sandwich rolls nearing the stale date therefore must be consumed soon, a box of angel hair pasta, a clove of garlic, remnants of pesto, roughly a tablespoon or two of olive oil occupying the only jar on the top shelf and an abandoned hunk of dough that never developed into the delicate danishes desired for the Christmas feast.  My first thought? Meatballs!  Never ask questions, just go with what you feel.  Great advice from my son, Aaron. Trust me and him....it never fails!

On the way over to the meat section, I calculated and compared the cost of cheeses, scoured the stores sales ads for this week's BOGO deals. If you are not familiar with this term, you soon will find it a godsend.  (BOGO = Buy One Get One....like I said, a godsend.)  Spaghetti sauces were on special so I selected two jars of tomatoe basil, snagged a pack of provolone cheese and headed to the meat counter only to discover an empty space in the cooler which the pre-made meatballs typically occupied.   I choose the pre-made meatballs because it cuts down on prep time, uses their spices, not mine and includes a lovely spinach garnish.  Seriously, get the most out of your resources, there is a two for one deal in itself.

If you have never asked for what you want, you will never get it. 
At first I was disappointed and resigned to have to make my own, but a quick glimpse through the window met an inquisitive employee eager to accomodate. He explained the holiday crunch was to blame for the missing meatballs so I asked how long it would take to make some more of those delish delights. Customers are always right and ten minutes later I was greeted with freshly made meatball masterpieces and a new friend in the meat department who will be a great resource for future endeavors. So, with 60 cents left in my pocket, and a menu brewing in my mind, I headed home to deliver delishesness to the eagerly expectant mouths of the members of my household. 

4 MEALS PREPARED - cost $9.40 plus poor girl pantry items
Meatball Subs on toasted roll with melted cheese
Angel hair pasta with meat sauce served with garlic breadsticks
Pizza with tomatoe sauce, garlic, spinach and cheese
Leftovers :)

Preparation/Cook Time: 30 -45 minutes (including chat time and taste testing with family)

Directions:  saute olive oil, pesto and garlic slices, add meatballs w/spinach and seasonings to taste. Cover and cook on low simmer.  If you have any leftover wine, add a splash! 
In separate sauce pan, cook sauce over low heat.  When meatballs are done, add to sauce, cover and cook on low.  Fill large pasta pan half full of water, add olive oil and pesto. Bring to boil then add angel hair pasta, stirring occassionally so they don't stick to each other (hate that!). 
While this is all cooking, break off piece of dough, roll out into rectangle shape using flour on counter and rolling pin as needed.  Cut into strips.  Twist strips and place on baking sheet.  Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with garlic seasonings. Bake top rack on 350 for 8 min.
Roll out remaining dough for pizza.  Place on round pizza pan, add sauce, spinach and shred remaining cheese.  Brush crust with remaining melted butter/garlic seasonings. Bake low rack on 350 for 20-25 min.

5 comments:

  1. What a tremendous idea! This is truly innovative and creative beyond description. We are looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful suggestions on a minimum budget...sometimes next to nothing. This is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous!! love the commentary and encouragement to make meager findings into a gourmet meal!! thank you!!! V

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic!! What a great idea to create gourmet meals out of meager findings!! You have inspired me to look in my pantry and cook! Whats next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing is fantastic...love it...love it...How can you make money with your talents? Keep up the wonderful writing experience!

    From your cheering section.........Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLLA AT A SISTA!!!! Kudos to you, Sabina for blogging! Gurl, it's your time to shine! I love it! It's true, Mom always found a treasure in the pantry when all we saw were a few spices, some misc. ingredients and a mis-match of veggies or fruit. Somehow, in her unbelievable and imaginative mind, she always created a mouth-watering meal....and even better, with a creative touch and fabulous presentation. I have also found that I have fortunately inherited this wonderful gene in the kitchen from Mom. I love the challenge of creating something out of nothing. Some of my best meals have been produced when the pantry was the least stocked. In contrast, doesn't it always seem that the people that have the least amount of money give the most?? Maybe not financially, but in labor, in volunteerism, in love, in prayer, or other ways?? My questions to you are: Does one's pantry represent one's heart?? Are people with less money more creative??

    ReplyDelete